Saturday, December 04, 2004

Limits

I'll admit that in many ways I am not a strong person. There are certain things that I cannot argue about or see the other side to. The Groningen Protocol's are one of those things. I find that I cannot even read much about it because it depresses me so completely. However, I could handle this amount from Dave Kopel in the Rocky Mountain News:

On Wednesday, the Rocky Mountain News and The Denver Post both ran an Associated Press story about doctors killing children at Groningen University Hospital in the Netherlands. Accurately summarizing the AP article by Toby Sterling, the News headline called the killings "infant euthanasia," while the Post headline read "baby mercy death." According to the AP, one condition for killing the child is "when parents think it's best."

But as Knight-Ridder reporter Matthew Schofield explained in an article last October, the "Groningen Protocol" (which may be adopted as law in the Netherlands) gives doctors the power to kill a child even when the parents object, and allows the killing of children up to age 12. By U.S. legal standards, premeditated nonconsensual killings of innocents are known as "murder." The Denver papers erred by soft-pedaling the Dutch barbarism.

How do you argue with Dr. Mengele?

No comments: