Friday, December 17, 2004

Strange Places

It is surprising sometimes who can turn out to be an interesting interview. Case in point, film critic and pundit Michael Medved: "Live" with TAE Michael Medved

I'll admit that part of the reason I found this surprising is a prejudice I hold against Medved. I was a teenager when Medved and Geoffrey Lyon's took over hosting duties on PBS's "Sneak Previews" from the vastly more informative and entertaining Robert Ebert and Gene Siskel. Since that time Medved seemed, to me at least, second rate at best. So when he would, from time to time, pop up on television in the role of "pundit" it only seemed natural that he would come across as a little boring and shrill. Just like he was on "Sneak Prerviews!"

But, this interview has lots of interesting bits, and thought provoking moments.

I enjoy visiting Canada, but the idea of living there seems depressing to me for precisely the same reason that living in the United States feels exhilarating. I mean, if Canada ceased to exist tomorrow that would be very sad, and not a good thing for the 35 million Canadians. But for the rest of the world, it would be a shrug of the shoulders. If the U.S. ceased to exist tomorrow, it would be a guarantee of 1,000 years of darkness for all of humanity.

No Canada? Where would NHL teams find their goons?

No comments: