Monday, January 10, 2005

Forgive me my Dorkdom.

As I mentioned before, I got a chance to see the new musical "Spamalot!" in Chicago right after New Year's. I had a blast. I didn't really want to do a review of it because I'm one of the worst people on the planet for that job. It would be wrong to say that "Monty Python & The Holy Grail" encapsulates my sense of humor. It would be more accurate to say that film created my sense of humor. I know it makes me a king sized dork, but when I was nine years old and I saw a rabbit bite off a man's head while King Arthur screams "Jesus Christ!", well....you don't have such pituresque epiphanies every day.

Finally, some reviews are in of "Spamalot!" so you don't have to take my word for it. It's funny.

Is 'Spamalot' digestible?Python fans rejoice: Musical succeeds on sheer comic goodwill

'Spamalot' cans Broadway grail

I agree with the Tribune review above that the song in the witch burning scene is a low point. They should probably just cut the song, but keep the movie bits. The song is really just a less funny version of the "O Lord Please Don't Burn Us" hymn from "Meaning of Life." But part of what made that so funny was the solemn church surroundings. Here, the witch burning song adds nothing of interest. Lose it.

All in all though, it was very enjoyable, especially for Monty Python dorks. You know who you are.

No comments: