Thursday, September 08, 2005

A Cross Posted Comment

I actually wrote the following in the comment section for this Doug Petch post. It sums up a lot of how I'm viewing things today, so I thought I'd share it more generally. (Aren't you lucky!)

That has been my big problem with the coverage of katrina by 90% of the blogs left and right. They are all basing their view on emotional reactions to the scenes from New Orleans. There has been no effort to attempt to analyze the relief effort in a general sense; no attempt to compare these efforts with previous disaster relief operations; no attempt at contextualization....shit to hear tell every single one of these bloggers were experts on Disaster Relief who didn't need to be brought up to speed on ANYTHING. Its amazing.

Instead of looking at actual data relevant to disaster relief we here complaining about:

A) Bush ending his vacation 12 hours too late! (The "Proof I've Watched Farenheit 9/11 Too Often" award.)

B) Brown ends his memos too cheerily! (Which has to take the "Nit That Has Been Picked To Death" award.)

C) Bush is blamless, but Blanco & Nagin are criminally negligent assholes. (The "How Convienient" Award - Republican Division)

D) Blanco & Nagin are blameless. It's all Bush's fault. (The "How Convienient" Award - Democratic Division)

E) Anything that criticizes someones choice of wording over and above ANYTHING substantive. (The "I Don't Know What I'm Talking About, But I Have To Complain About SOMETHING" award.)

You will have to excuse me. I've got to go take an aspirin.

No comments: