Thursday, February 08, 2007

Shifting Center

I was interested to see that American Future's Marc Shulman has left his co-blogging duties at The Moderate Voice for the greener pastures of Donklephant.

Anybody who has been reading TMV of late could see this coming a mile away. Increasingly when Marc's posts would appear they would feel like they were coming from another planet compared to the other material on the site. TMV has added a plethora of co-bloggers that have really changed the feel of the blog. Back when TMV was mostly a vehicle for Joe Gandleman it had a slightly left of center view. Joe is obviously used to interacting with folks who have different viewpoints and it showed on TMV. The blog was, in effect, a reflection of the personality of its author.

TMV today is a very different kind of animal. It has become less of a blog and more of a brand name. I understand the impulse. I would love to have someone else providing some content here on The Iconic Midwest. There are people who consistently check this blog out obviously hoping to see new content. I hate it when I do not have the time or energy to provide that content. I know it is only a couple of seconds of someones day to say "Hey, I wonder what's new on IM?" But, that is a couple of second wondering what I'm thinking about. Every visit is a "Rich, what's up?" and every post is my way of saying, "Man, you should have seen it!" So while it would be nice to have someone else writing to make sure there is something new here when people drop by, it would change the blog. So I'm wary of it.

And TMV is a good example of how change can be bad. Marc Shulman's leaving has had two effects; One, it has made TMV a bit more coherent in the sense of being more self-consistent; and, Two, it has made TMV decidedly less centrist. This is what Marc had to say about the move over at Donklephant:

For the past few months, I've been posting at another blog (which I will leave unnamed) that depicts itself as being "centrist." From the comments my posts have received there, it's apparent that the bulk of its readership is decidedly left-of-center. Having read many of the comments at Donklephant, it's clear to me that its audience is truly centrist, as the invective that characterizes the words left by the readers of that other "centrist" blog is lacking. I don't expect — and don't want — everyone to agree with me, but I want the disagreements to be civil and reasoned.


Speaking as someone who has commented on TMV since 2004 I have to concur with Marc's assessment of the place. Two and a half years ago it was a much more civil place. As the content on the site has become more "Daily Kos" like so has the comment section. Now, I'm not saying it is becoming the haven for four-letter invective that the DK comment section is, but there is decidedly less good will there now than before.

I hope Marc has a better experience over at Donklephant.

UPDATE:

It actually looks like Marc hasn't left TMV, but has just added Donklephant to his publishing list.

No comments: