Thursday, June 07, 2007

How Gentlemanly

From the DM Register: Police hold fire when robber snags his pantyhose

A man dressed as a woman and armed with a knife allegedly advanced on a Des Moines police officer in the dark early today. But the man avoided getting shot by the officer when the man snagged his pantyhose on a chicken wire fence.

The fence apparently prevented the man from moving closer and attacking the officer, and police were able to take the man into custody.

Officer Natale Chiodo said in his report that the incident occurred as he was searching by flashlight for a man who had robbed the Walgreens drug store at 104 E. Euclid Ave.

Here's what Chiodo said in his report:

"It was pitch dark. I drew my weapon and used the flashlight on my gun. I was startled to see a man in pantyhose, blue sweater and wig five feet away in a combat stance holding a knife in his left hand.

"I immediately started to retreat while giving loud verbal commands to drop the knife. The male took a step toward me and acted as though he was going to fight. He was wielding the knife in an underhand grip with the blade close to his forearm.

"The man suddenly stopped and I could see that his pantyhose were tangled in a chicken wire fence.

"While still yelling commands, the male kept trying to free the pantyhose with his right hand while still trying to advance. ... I finally told (the alleged robber) if he didn't drop the knife and get on the ground I was going to kill him."

Alright....maybe that bit wasn't gentlemanly at all.

No comments: