WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. -- Two cats woke up a family Monday morning, alerting them to a fire before the cats perished in the blaze.
The fire at 1806 Sheridan Road in West Lafayette engulfed the house, destroying much of it just after 4 a.m. Michael and Nancy Prewett, who lived in the house, escaped without injuries, according to their son, Chris Prewett.
"It was the cats that woke them up," Chris Prewett said. "The cats' activity let them know something was wrong."
Nancy and Michael Prewett could not be reached Monday. Neighbors said they saw Nancy Prewett cradling at least one cat in a blanket on the lawn after the fire was extinguished.