Friday, June 13, 2008

"Hey, That's My Handiwork!"

I've never come across my influence in a published work...until this very morning. I'm reading a biography of singer songwriter Al Stewart by Neville Judd. I'm sitting on my couch drinking my morning tea and reading away when I get to page 213 and I come across a lengthy quote from Al talking about an earlier lyric to his hit song "Year Of The Cat."

As I read it I started to think, "Hmmm...this sounds familiar." And, then it dawned on me. I heard Al makes these comments before. I don't mean I've heard Al tell the story of song before, I mean I heard this particular telling of the story.

Alright, so what is my contribution here? Well, back in 1988 I taped an interview with Al off of a local radio station in St. Louis (WMRY), where this quote originated. Several years later I made a transcript of that interview and posted it on the Al Stewart Mailing List (an email list for all of us geeky Al Stewart fans.) Obviously, Neville Judd must have come across my posting and filed it away amongst his other research material. I cannot think of another explanation of how such an obscure interview for a long defunct radio station could have made it into this book. It had to be my transcript.

It makes me wonder if, when I read further, I will see Al's musings from that day about french onion soup.

2 comments:

Tully said...

Mmm, French Onion Soup....

Rich Horton said...

Yes, sadly it has remained a bit of a cliff hanger, as I never discovered if Al found a place at Westport Plaza to sell him the soup he was craving.