Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I'm Sorry, But This Ain't Normal

Really it isn't: Creepy. As. Hell.

Last Sunday I attended a community picnic for “Obama families.”

When we walked into the community center, they tried to shuffle the kids off to one side to “learn about voting” while an aggressive campaign worker told us to sign-in on a clipboard. When I asked why she needed our phone number, address, and email, she said, “we just want to know how many people attended.” Classic Alinsky organizing. My wife spoke Democrat to them and my kids and I were able to enter without further indoctrination.

Inside, a popular children’s entertainer, Rebecca Frezza, was performing but she had changed all of the lyrics of her songs to, I kid you not, “I Love. Bar-ack Oh-Baaaa-mah.” Most disappointing because my daughters are fans and couldn’t hear the songs the way they knew them.

After that were two speeches by our local NJ assemblywoman and an adviser to Obama’s campaign. Both speeches were about how “amazing” Obama’s convention speech was, how the stadium spectacle brought them to tears, and how they were initially inspired to support Obama by Will-I-Am’s youtube video. I couldn’t make this stuff up. Both speeches ended with some hope-and-change chanting. I don’t know if you’ve ever been in a room with 200 sweaty Democrats (adults and kids) chanting “yes we can” but I’d rather reenact the torture scene from Syriana than do that again.

I’m happy to report that my daughters, ages eight and five, caught the creepy stench of group-think in the air and were extremely uncomfortable. My Democrat wife too had to admit that it was a little scary. After we left I bought my kids an ice cream cone to sooth the pain.

There is also a YouTube video of children singing songs of praise and worship to the Messia....I mean Obama.

I won't link to that.

Just remember, all of this stuff is simply a figment of your imagination.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Obama is turning out to be The Big Let-Down of ’08.
Obama kept insinuating that He is The Second Coming but every time we’ve held our breaths waiting for him to change water into wine, we’ve been disappointed. Obama kept telling us to ‘tune in next week!’ and he never delivers, the miracle never comes. There is nothing there.
Obama’s has a problem with clarity. I have systematically studied both his autobiographies and I still don’t know what kind of man I’m dealing with. When he was first showcased on TV, my interest was aroused. I used to find Obama enigmatic, but now he just comes off as vacuous, empty.
Obama’s two books address the questions of “Journey of Discovery to Where?” and “Who Am I?” We can all relate to such pondering. But Obama does not give us an answer. If he has found the answer since publishing those two books two years ago then he hasn’t told us yet.
McCain has been on a longer and harder personal journey. There can be nothing more extreme than surviving daily torture for five years. Can you imagine that? To be beaten day-in and day-out, starved, your hands and legs bound by chains? McCain already knows what he can take, and humbly knows where he breaks. Every man and woman has a breaking point. It is very human. McCain already knows his, even though he held out as long as he could.
What trials or stories of human devastation has Obama endured? I can’t imagine being Black in America is an easy thing. But Obama was raised in Polynesia by white grandparents and then went on to Harvard, community service, the Senate, and now the presidency. Obama’s journey seems to have been very easy. His skin color opened all the right doors for him instead of slamming them shut. Obama didn’t march against segregation. Obama didn’t fight for affirmative action. He planted no tree. He carried no water for that tree. Obama has just come along and picked the fruits. That is easy street. This is not a great American story. This is not a triumph of will over adversity. This is a story of baby-boomer entitlement. This is the story of the yuppy next door. These stories are a dime a dozen on aisle 3 at Whole Foods.
You may agree or disagree with McCain but at least you know where he stands. He has a long track record to judge him by. McCain has a long list of hits and misses. He has made mistakes (like us all) but that is because he had been trying to do things and change things all his life. Obama markets himself as the candidate with an unblemished record, but that is only because he doesn’t have a record. We have nothing to judge Obama by. All he gives us is his word and we are supposed to put all our trust in his future promises. But these promises keep changing: Obama has produced two contradictory promises on Iraq, two contradictory promises on NAFTA, and two contradictory promises on taxes. Are we supposed to judge him by the original promise he made, or by his most recent one? The candidate who flows with the changing winds of polls is the lightweight. That much we know.
I feel very embarrassed for buying into the Obama phenomena. Maybe now that the weather is changing I see things in a new light. I feel sheepish for falling for the marketing pitch. Where do I go to get a refund?
I think that many voters like me are looking for clarity in our next president. I feel I know what kind of man McCain is, and that I can trust him. McCain gets my vote.

Anonymous said...

The only song that the lyrics were changed in was one that has never been recorded and the kids would not have known anyway. It was simply a fun way to lift everyones energy and spirits. No worshiping involed.