On a July afternoon in 2006, Patrick Hale microwaved a bag of popcorn for his two young children and sat down with them to watch television. When he got up to change the channel, he heard a strange noise behind him, and turned to see his 23-month-old daughter, Allison, turning purple and unable to breathe.
As a Marine, he was certified in CPR, but he could not dislodge the popcorn with blows to her back and finger swipes down her throat. He called 911, but it was too late: by the time Allison arrived at the hospital, her heart had stopped beating. An autopsy found that she had inhaled pieces of popcorn into her vocal cords, her bronchial tubes and a lung.
"Neither one of us knew that popcorn was unsafe," said her mother, Christie Hale of Keller, Texas.
Look, I'm sorry about the loss of this child in this freak accident, but of course popcorn is "safe." It simply isn't meant to be inhaled. Neither are grapes, mashed potatoes, chewing gum, or any other food item that children could ingest.
Here is the list of items they want to label:
...hot dogs, peanuts, carrots, boned chicken, candy, meat, popcorn, fish with bones, sunflower seeds and apples.
But, of course, these are mentioned because they are very common foods, so we would probably want to also label any foods akin to hot dogs, peanuts, carrots, boned chicken, candy, meat, popcorn, fish with bones, sunflower seeds or apples, which would basically cover all non-Jello forms of sustenance.
Though I bet, if inhaled, one could drown in Jello, so you better slap a label on that as well.