Monday, July 18, 2011

Look Out Below!

It's far too hot and humid here for my liking, but it could get worse: Heat wave could trigger “pavement explosions”


Among the adventures in extreme physics brought on by the white-hot temperatures is the potential for “pavement explosions,” which can happen when when moisture cannot escape through non-porous cement, causing it to blow.

As of Monday morning, Des Moines Public Works Director Bill Stowe said no pavement explosions have been discovered.

“I suspect by tomorrow, I won’t be able to answer that way,” he said. “. . .I’m surprised that we haven’t seen it yet.”

Extreme temperatures alone do not cause the problem, Stowe said, but the heat currently bearing down on the metro area is one of the key triggers. Steam pressure from trapped moisture and some kind of weakness in the pavement are the others.

Just to be safe I'm gonna stay inside and drink ice cold beer.

No comments: